Catalogus Plantarum Horti Caesare Florentini opus postumum iussu societatis botanicae editum, continuatum, et ipsius horti historia locupletatum ab Io. Targionio Tozzettio...
Eur 2,500 / USD 2,600
The price shown on each item does not include V.A.T (Value Added Tax). As a result of the recent EU legislation we are required to charge our EU customers the percentage of V.A.T. charged by the customer’s country of residence, unless they possess a V.A.T. registration number. Postage Additional.
Florentiae, Bernardi Paperinii, 1748. Folio (355 x 245mm). pp. lxxxviii, 185, with engraved title vignette, several fine engraved initials and head pieces, 7 engraved plates and 1 folding engraved garden plan (455 x 320mm). Later half vellum, spine with black gilt-lettered label.
First and only edition. The first botanical garden in Florence was established by Luca Ghine in 1545, and seems to have been no more than a herb garden. In 1718 the garden was revived and Pier' Antonio Micheli (1679-1713) became its first director until his death in 1737. The present work, was published posthumously by his successor Giovanni Targioni Tozzetti, who contributed a prefatory history of the garden to the work, which is a catalogue of plants, arranged alphabetically according to Tournefort's system. A fine uncut copy, with the bookplate of the New York Horticultural Society, bequest of Kenneth K. Mackenzie October 1934.
Stafleu & Cowan TL2 5975; B.M.(Nat. Hist.)III, 1306.